General & Family Dentistry
Good habits start early! That’s why we happily welcome children of all ages here at Fairview Dental Group. Our warm and friendly staff will make your child’s trip to the dentist’s office fun and exciting, so your kid’s love caring for their teeth for years to come.
Your Child’s First Visit
A child’s first set of teeth is very important for development. Using their baby teeth, kids learn how to chew correctly and develop proper speech patterns. In order to keep their first teeth in good health, we recommend scheduling an appointment for your infant after their first tooth appears, but no later than their first birthday. This will allow us to detect any early stages of tooth decay, and ensure that their smile is healthy for life!
What To Expect During Your Visit
We want to ensure your child is happy and comfortable. If he or she is unable to (or doesn’t want to) sit in the chair alone, you are more than welcome to have them sit on your lap. During the appointment, the dentist will do a quick examination to ensure your child’s teeth and jaw is developing properly. We will also look for any cavities, mouth injuries, or other issues to ensure he or she is in perfect health. Once this scan is over, the dentist will do a teeth cleaning and provide you with helpful tips for daily care.
Here are some other tips you might consider to make their experience as easy as possible:
- Before the visit, your child should have a light meal and brush their teeth, helping them to avoid feeling hungry during the exam.
- Fill out patient forms ahead of time – anything to keep your visit as short and efficient as possible helps!
- Wait until after the visit for snack time, otherwise it could make the cleaning last a bit longer.
- Schedule your appointments outside of naptime – make sure they’re well rested and feeling cooperative for the appointment.
- Have fun! We’re here to work with you to make sure your child’s dental appointment is a fun experience.
If your child wiggles during the exam or cries a bit during their appointment, don’t worry! Our team understands this is a new experience for them, and will do what we can to comfort them.
How To Prepare
Talking to your child early and often about their trip to the dentist will ease any worries they might have about their visit. You might also consider trying the following to help them get ready for the big day:
- Practice, practice, practice. Pretend you’re the dentist and have your child open their mouth while you count their teeth and do a “cleaning” so they can get a sense of what to expect.
- Read a book. There are many children’s books on the topic of the first dental visit. Reading these books to them can make the dentist feel like a fun event to look forward to.
- Stay positive! Children mirror our behavior. If you’re relaxed and happy, they will be too! Older siblings can also help with this by being a good role model and talking about a trip to the dentist in a positive way.
Good dental health starts young. At Fairview Dental Group, we hope to make sure your child loves taking care of their teeth for years to come. Call us today to schedule your child’s appointment!