Do you want to remove unwanted wrinkles and lines? At Fairview Dental Group, we offer two possible treatments to give you the look you’ve always wanted! Both Botox and Juvederm treatments can give you beautiful, more youthful-looking skin. So which do you choose? We recommend taking the following points into consideration.
1. Decide what you would like to treat.
- Botox: Of course, Botox is well known for reducing wrinkles and lines. However, you might be surprised to know that Botox isn’t solely a cosmetic treatment. In fact, there are a number of functional benefits that it serves as well. Botox is a great option if you’d like to treat TMJ, headaches, migraines, and more.
- Juvederm: Juvederm’s primary purpose, on the other hand, is to reduce lines around the mouth, nose, and forehead. You can also use Juvederm to contour the face and reduce scars.
2. Consider the method.
Both of these treatments can remedy wrinkles and lines that are caused by the contractions in your facial muscles. However, they go about this process through very different methods. You may want to consider which of the two is right for you!
- Botox: Using FDA-approved injections of Clostridium botulinum bacteria (also known as “botulism”), the Botox treatment blocks the nerve impulses in your facial muscles. This prevents your muscles from contracting and allows them to relax, which ultimately reduces the crease in the skin. This method has been proven effective in reducing wrinkles for over 20 years!
- Juvederm: Juvederm is often thought to be a more natural solution than Botox, as it uses injections of hyaluronic acid instead of the botulinum toxin. Hyaluronic acid is a sugar-based compound that is actually already found in the skin. Our body naturally loses the ability to create this acid over time, so injecting it into the skin restores the nutrients and moisture of these cells. This improves the skin cells’ elasticity, firmness, and plumpness—renewing their youthful appearance.
3. Take the appointment itself into consideration.
- Botox: You’ll be happy to know that Botox appointments are actually relatively quick—the process typically takes about 15 minutes. We’ll simply apply ice to the site of injection so you can hardly feel it and administer the injection.
- Juvederm: In comparison to Botox, Juvederm can take slightly longer. However, it still only takes about 30 minutes to administer. We’ll apply a topical anesthetic to ensure you don’t feel anything. However, many patients say the treatment is quite comfortable due to the hyaluronic acid’s gel-like consistency.
4. Remember the recovery period.
- Botox: There is virtually no recovery time required for the Botox treatment! You can continue on with your normal activities immediately after the procedure.
- Juvederm: We would recommend that you avoid touching or massaging your face immediately after this procedure. You can continue applying make-up, but do not use products that contain alcohol for a while. You may also want to avoid extreme temperatures while you recover. The recovery period can be anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on the patient.
5. Look to the results!
With either treatment, your results will look incredible. However, the time period in which these results last can vary between treatments.
- Botox: The Botox treatment can take about 5-10 days for the results to really take effect. Once administered, you can expect to enjoy your results for 3-6 months (depending on the treatment site).
- Juvederm: Results from the Juvederm treatment last much longer in comparison to most dermal fillers. The results will last around 6-9 months, but can last up to a year depending on the person!
Are you ready to get younger-looking skin? Call Fairview Dental Group in Westmont today to schedule your appointment!